Red-billed Leiothrix at Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden. 在歐胡島的紅嘴相思鳥

Hoʻomaluhia Botanical Garden is my favorite place to watch birds in Oahu simply because it is the best location to spot Red-billed leiothrix, the colofrul, playful, vivid small birds.


For small bird watching, this is worthy 5 starts as you get to see Red-billed Leiothrix!! It is also not difficult to see Northern Cardinals, Japanese White Eyes, Red-whiskered Bulbul, common waxbill, White rumped shama. Why it's 5 stars because you do not easily see red-billed leiothrix at other places in Oahu but I always see them here.
I am sometimes asked if this is the native bird in Oahu. Unfortunately, red-billed leiothrix is not native of Hawaii, it is introduced to Hawaii in early 1900's as a cage bird initially. Those birds you see in Oahu are mostly introduced birds. It will be more likely to encounter native Hawaii birds in Kauai and Big Island that I haven't been to....but one day I will go visit. I have read that Oahu has native `Apapane and `Amakihi birds but I haven't found them yet. I will try looking for them.
Take a look at those red-billed leiothrix pictures I captured. The files I posted in my blogs are down-sized so the pictures will be shown faster when you explore on your screen.


If you are interested in using my photos, whether for your blogs, personal use, or commercial use, please go to my Shutterstock profile for high resolutions and precise focus pictures:
http://shutterstock.com/g/Yi-Chen+Chiang Thank you for recognizing my efforts. :)
birds red billed leiothrix, singing and hunting food, at Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden
Red-billed leiothrix singing, holding food in his beak, looking aside. Note that the left bottom picture shows the forked tail of the bird and the distinguishable bright yellow color on edges of wings feathers. 

Red-billed leiothrix facts: about six inches, olive green on head top, yellow throat, yellowish-orange breast, a dull yellowish ring around the eye that extends to the beak, the edges of the wing feathers are brightly colored with yellow, orange, red and black and the forked tail is olive brown and blackish at the tip. The cheeks and side of the neck are a bluish gray color. 


birds red billed leiothrix, singing and hunting food, at Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden
This set is out of focus... :P

Some other things about
Hoʻomaluhia Botanical Garden:

The lake: is tranquil place to stay and rest.

Wild pig: I don't see wild pigs every time I go. Sometimes I hear them in the bushes but they run so fast I am unable to take photos of them. I however encountered one wild pig probably 8-10 feet away stopped n front of me (I was a little scared haha) and quickly grabbed my camera to snap one picture. Beautiful scenery: Drive pass the visitor center and drive further up you will see the fishing place top down view which is different and very pretty. Restrooms: the restrooms near the visitor center are the cleanest. I once tried to use the restroom farther up and it was kind of not well taken care of. Admission: Free entry... so I'm happy to return on my spare time to photograph birds. :)

Comments